The online follow-up to my talk for the 2019 RSGB Convention.
What’s new since 2015
- Choke Chart and RadCom Plus article by Steve Hunt G3TXQ (SK) – see separate blog entry below
- Revised Choke Cookbook by Jim Brown K9YC
- Large Fair-Rite #31 core
THE PROBLEM SOLVER! See ordering details below.
- Constant changes in the prices of ferrite cores (but still the same Best Buy supplier)
- Updated Whole-Shack Mains Filter
- Extended slide pack (PowerPoint) includes more slides showing how to build the updated Whole-Shack Mains Filter.
- View ‘Clean Up Your Shack 2015’ (YouTube) for more detailed background.
- Slides from my 2010 talk about chokes and baluns to drill deeper into that subject.
- All mains earth (green/yellow wire) connections are to the earth tag on the top end of the filter.
THE PROBLEM SOLVER: Fair-Rite 0431177081 snap-on core
Not cheap, but well worth it. If RF noise threatens to take your hobby away, then surely it’s worth something to get it back?
- Manufacturer’s data Ignore the photograph – this biggest bead doesn’t look like that.
- Current Best Buy supplier – and always near the top of the list – is www.mouser.co.uk
Again, ignore the photograph, trust the part number.
Notice the big price break at quantity 10. This makes an ideal club purchase.
UK prices are in GB£ but do not include VAT. However, that is all you have to pay. Three-day FedEx shipping from the USA is streamlined and free for orders over £50+VAT.
Parts list for the Whole-Shack Mains Filter
- Packaged 15A or 16A mains filter, single phase, 250VAC rated.
Within 2 days of publication, the Roxburgh RES5-F15 filter from Farnell was sold out! The specific type of mains filter is not critical, so instead let’s try the Schaffner FN2030-16-06 (also from Farnell, but many more in stock).
- Large Fair-Rite core 0431177081: Mouser (see above) or Farnell
- Qty 2, Fair-Rite oval core 2643167851: Mouser or Farnell
- Plastic box CE-TEK GR17012 to fit the above parts: CPC EN84544
NB: I said PLASTIC for a reason! A metal box opens up a world of unnecessary complications about earth continuity and de-tuning of the ferrite choke.
- Qty 2, plastic cable glands, 5-10mm size: CPC CBBR7352
- At least 3m of 3-core 2.5mm² mains flex, 90ºC rated: eBay, eg here
- 13A socket strips to meet your requirements
- 13A plug. The maximum total current supplied to all sockets is 13A, limited by this plug.